Double Helix welcomes the submission of manuscripts that fall within its focus and scope.
N.B. "Critical thinking" should be explicitly defined and/or addressed in submissions.
Submissions should observe the following guidelines:
- The submission conforms to the journal house style, APA, as expressed in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Ed., and the modifications to APA described below in the SUBMISSION PREPARATION CHECKLIST. Authors are encouraged to include appropriate supplementary files, including samples of assignments, student writing and instructor comments.
- The submission observes conventions of American English.
- The submission has not been published previously, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor). Manuscripts must present new knowledge or challenge established knowledge.
- DH recommends the following lengths for submissions: Research Articles, 5,000 to 10,000 words; Reports from the Field, 2,500 to 5,000 words; The Provocateur, any length; Book Reviews, 750 to 1,800 words; Letters, up to 750 words.
- Articles reporting the results of empirical or observational research should be attentive to the ethics and validity of the methods used. Any article that quotes or otherwise reproduces unpublished writing by students or teachers or others must have permission from the writers to do so, even if it uses their writing anonymously.
- In peer-reviewed sections of the journal, to ensure anonymity during the review process, author(s) and affiliated institution(s) must be removed from title, headers and internal references.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
The submission file is in Microsoft Word document file format.
Where available, URLs for the references have been provided and are activated.
The text is single-spaced; uses 12-point, Cambria font with one space after a sentence-ending period; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); title, subtitles, and paragraphs are flush left with paragraph indentations, with no extra space between paragraphs; and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end. For titles, subtitles, and headings, the first word is capitalized, and each additional word is also capitalized, except for articles, conjunctions, and prepositions that are fewer than five letters.
Endnotes, rather than footnotes, are used and inserted manually.
- For Research Articles, The Provocateur, and Reports from the Field, a 100-word abstract is included in the submission.
For questions regarding your submission, please email email@example.com.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Double Helix is a publication of the College of Arts and Sciences at Quinnipiac University. ISSN 2372-7497